Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 08, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  CLA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Road Ends Proposed Legislation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Road Ends Proposed Legislation  (Read 20258 times)
Bonnie
Administrator

« on: November 11, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »

According to the Michigan Lakes and Streams Assoc, there is current legislation pending which addresses road ends.  You can read all about it on the MLSA website (Nov newsletter), or please see the attachment below.

Bonnie K
scottmat28

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »

This legislation, SB 778, would severely restrict lake access and use by back-lot owners.  While the bill provides for a use execption where a deed, easement, etc. expressly provides for stated uses, most deed language, crafted years ago, provides only generic language for lake access (such as "use in common" or "rights in common") and does not provide for expressly stated uses such a having a dock, anchoring a boat, etc.

This bill has cleared committee and is up for consideration by the full Senate.  A comparable House bill is currently being drafted, so this appears to be something that is not just going to die on the vine.

Even though I am a lakefront owner who theoretically would benefit from this bill, I oppose it.  Backlot owners have a long history and deeded right to enjoy lake access.  Their property values reflect this right, being less valuable that lakefront property but far more valuable than the same property that does not enjoy lake access.  I for one do not want to further slash the value of my neighbor's property (and as a direct result, slash property tax collections even further).  Do we really want to turn these backlot properties into nothing more than cheap rentals with absentee owners?  Is that what we want the community to become?  I don't.

I know there are equally strong feelings on the other side.  Whatever your position, I would encourage you to contact your senator, Judy Emmons, and let her know how you feel and why you feel that way.  I have.  Her e-mail is senjemmons@senate.michigan.org

srm
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »

Well said scottmat28. The property values would drop even more than they are today. You may end up with a bigger issue of just anyone being more invited to use it. If these show up a Google earth map its all over and you'll wish for your regular neighbors dock and boats back. Most work it out for all parties quiet enjoyment.

I would like more feedback from our members to see if a CLA drafted letter is in order here.

-srm
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »

According to the MLSA March e-news letter, this legislation has now passed both houses and is to be signed by the Govenor in the next few days.  For more info, go to
http://www.mymlsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MLSA-E-Newsletter-for-March-2012.pdf

This has major impact on road ends. 

Bonnie K
srm
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

It was signed on March 22, 2012 with expected activation date of March 27, 2012.

News...
http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57577-274118--,00.html

Bill activity...
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28yg3spuipip0arorv1ulnltrm%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2011-SB-0778

Bill...
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billenrolled/Senate/pdf/2011-SNB-0778.pdf

To put in a dock or mooring folks will ultimately go through the DEQ process. In a nutshell DEQ will require that there be enough room to get a boat in and out without violating the riparian rights of the adjacent land owners. Violators will receive a misdemeanor and fined $500

This appears to be for road-ends only but I haven't confirmed that it doesn't take any public access into account. Crystal Lake has road-ends, public accesses and deeded access.

-srm
scottmat28

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »

I've never been able to get an answer to this: what exactly constitutes a "road end"?  Do the roads that "T" at the road going around the lake, such as Jean Street teeing at North Shore or Katherine teeing at Strait Tow constitute road ends? 

I asked this question via e-mail to both of our illustriuous local legislators, Rep Outman and Senator Emmons (as well as asking their opinion and voting intentions on this legislation) and got no response from either one.  Maybe someone here knows the answer.
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

According to the Detroit News, a road end is one where the road ends at water's edge.  ie. Owosso St, etc. 

Bonnie K
scottmat28

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »

So, even if a road dead ends at the cross road, such as Owosso dead-ending at South shore, its still considered a road-end into the lake? 

My humble opinion, but what a crock. 

Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »

Yes, that is so.   I hope you also have read the new proposed ordinance on docks, etc. that is to replace the current anti-funneling ordinance.   Public hearing will be this Wednesday night at 7 pm. 

Bonnie K
scottmat28

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

I have read the proposed amendments - I'm trying to decide if I should attend since I'll probably just wind up getting mad. 

I'm not sure how much more of this "less government involvement in your lives" I can take from these people!!!
Michael OB
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »

So... how did the Wednesday meeting go?

Inquiring minds want to know... thanks!
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »

I just posted the Daily News article on the discussion thread "Anti-Funneling Ordinance" subject. 

The Road Ends legislation was signed by the Govenor this past week and has caused all other types of concerns as well.  Wish there was a way to satisfy all without compromising the lake, property values, and peace between neighbors.  Got a magic wand??

Bonnie K
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »

Clarification on "what defines a road end", I would suggest anyone questioning whether it is an "access" or "road end" can go down to the County Road Commission in Stanton and they will provide you copies of historical original plat maps  which have the wording of what exactly these areas were meant for.  I believe this is a better way to determine what is a road end and what is not....  Just a thought/suggestion.

Bonnie K
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length