Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2020, 11:14:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  CLA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Water Quality
| | |-+  2011 Water Quality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2011 Water Quality  (Read 8463 times)
Bonnie
Administrator

« on: September 09, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »

Testing is going well this year.  I started out with 17.5 feet clarity and we got down to only 6' in July.  Today, Sept 10, the secchi disk measured 9.5 feet.  I have Phosphorous (late fall) and chlorophyll-a to do on Sept 15th and these samples will be turned in to DEQ in Grand Rapids on Sept 20th.  All testing will finish the third week of Sept.  I'll let everyone know when the 2011 results will be posted on the MICORPS website. 

Bonnie

Bonnie K
kanchan

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:03:45 AM »

Good attempt
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »

The 2011 CLMP Annual Summary Report has been received.  I would be happy to lend it out to anyone who would like to read it. 

The Chlorophyll(a) results for our lake are pretty good, not the best like Torch or Higgins, but for a medium size lake, our mean average of 1.7 ug/l (once a month testing from May through Sept) gives us a Carlson TSI of 33.  There were 107 lakes participating in taking Chlorophyll monthly tests and the overall mean average was 3.6 ug/l.

Phosphorous test at Spring Overturn was 9 ug/l and late summer was 7 which results in a Carlson TSI tp of 32.  Other lakes in Montcalm County like Baldwin had measurements of 13, Clifford lake 16 and 13, and Derby Lake 10.  So, we are doing really well when it comes to Phosphorous.  Of the 194 lakes enrolled in phosphorous testing, the Spring Mean was 14.2 ug/l and Summer Mean was 12.7, so we are better than the average!!  Yah!

Recorded weekly Secchi disk transparency values in over 221 lakes in Michigan had a mean average value of 12.2 feet.  Our lake unfortunately did not measure up to being average.  Our mean average was 10'.  We had a high in May of 17.5, and many weeks of low 6.5' (mostly July/Aug).  Derby Lake just down the road had a mean of 18.5' .  What is the difference?  We are close in both Phosphorous and Chlorophyll (a) results, but Crystal has more shallow area and more boating activity which create turbulence.  So, is this the reason?  Or, is the suspension of increased algae or other factors causing this problem?  I hope to discover more as we now begin this week the 2012 water testing for Spring Phosporous. 

If anyone would like to support and assist in taking water tests, I would love the company and help!  Just let me know!

Bonnie K
Michael OB
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

I'll be around late June to mid-August and will help out if you need it (even though I have no idea what "help out" entails in this case).
You have my email address.
Michael
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length