Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2020, 11:11:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  CLA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Water Quality
| | |-+  2010 Annual CLMP Water Quality Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2010 Annual CLMP Water Quality Report  (Read 6319 times)
Bonnie
Administrator

« on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »

This past year, CLA participated for the first time in MICORPS Cooperative Lake Monitoring Program (CLMP).  Over 250 lakes in Michigan are monitored through volunteers.  Test results are submitted, such as phosphorous, secchi disk (transparency), oxygen, invasive plant species, etc.  Training is available to all volunteers.  As it was our first year, we were limited to just the secchi disk and late summer phosphorous tests.  If you are interested in how our Crystal Lake is faring in comparison to other lakes, you can read the 2010 CLMP Results report at http://www.micorps.net/documents/CLMPFinalReport10.pdf

We will continue testing Crystal's water quality with all available tests in 2011.  If you are concerned about our water quality (and we all should be), please volunteer to help with these tests.  Bill Tomlin and I have been working this program and it would be nice to have more CLA members involved in water testing.  Let's take care of our lake and it will take care of us!

Bonnie K
Michael OB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

Thanks for posting the link to the report! Interpreting data such as this generally requires an understanding of what's being presented (of the background).

My questions are... is there some plain-English translation of this report's data for Crystal Lake? Rather than everyone having to get up to speed on the research and testing methodologies and protocols, is there a simple explanation of the resulting water quality numbers for our lake?

Good?
Bad?
Jump in and enjoy?
Don't even dip a toe?
etc.

Thanks... Michael
Bonnie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »

We have a report in our summer newsletter being mailed this week on water quality.  I took a secchi disk measurement May 15th and it measured 17.5'.  Last week, we were down to 7.5 feet.  We had quite a bit of boat traffic due to very high temps over the previous weekend, plus the May Fly hatch was happening.  I'm going out Wed a.m. to take oxygen, temp, chlorophyl-a, and secchi disk tests.  We'll see if the lake has settled down a little....

I did notice the waves during last weeks high winds produced quite a bit of foam.  So much, it was blown into neighboring yards up to 30 feet from the seawalls.  One of the causes of foam is phosphorous...  We need to keep up the education on protecting our lake by watching run-offs when washing cars/boats, etc. 

Bonnie

Bonnie K
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length